Town Clerk

Contact Info
Lisa Lamson
PO Box 94
(mail must go to PO Box)
9 Kearsarge Valley Road
Wilmot, NH 03287

Open 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. on
Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

Appointments are recommended.

We are happy to serve walk-ins if there are no appointments scheduled.

Town Clerk Details

In Wilmot, the Town Clerk’s position is combined with the Tax Collector position.  This position is elected and serves a three-year term.  Wilmot also has an appointed Deputy Town Clerk/Tax Collector to assist the Town Clerk in performing clerk/collector duties.

The Town Clerk’s Office is responsible for the following:

  • Motor Vehicle Registration
  • Boat Registration
  • Dog Licensing
  • Vital Records (Births, Deaths, Marriage)
  • Elections and Voter Information, including registrations and absentee ballots
  • Recording and managing official Town documents such as meeting minutes

Forms of Payment

  • The Wilmot Town Clerk accepts credit card payments and electronic check payments online for dog licensing and for registration renewals for the Department of Motor Vehicles.
  • All payments at the town office window must be made by check or cash.

Motor Vehicle Registration

You always start at the Town Clerk’s Office!  


A photo ID is required for all transactions.

You must present your current registration OR renewal notice to process a renewal registration at the office.

You must present your current registration to transfer plates and/or any funds remaining.

Do NOT give your old registration away except to the town clerk or DMV!

State motor vehicle forms can be found at the DMV website.



What do I need to bring with me to register my vehicle?

When registering a NEW (brand new OR new-to-you) vehicle, you must bring the following:

  • A photo I.D.
  • Cash or check
  • Additional documentation as detailed below:

As of January 1, 2015, per RSA 261:3, titles will be required for ALL vehicles with a model year 2000 and newer. Example: If it is the year 2050, and you have a model year 2000 vehicle that you are selling, you are required to provide the buyer with a title. If you are the purchaser, you MUST have the title when registering said vehicle, and purchase a new title in your name.

Transferring Plates

To transfer plates, you must be listed as the owner on the registration for the vehicle you are transferring plates FROM. If you do not have the registration for the vehicle you are transferring plates from, we can print a copy for you at a cost of $18.

  • When purchased through a dealer, you will need the title application with TOWN CLERK’S COPY (printed in red at the bottom of the form) AND the registration for the vehicle that you are transferring plates FROM.
  •  When purchased through private sale, you will need the reassigned title for the model 2000 or newer car that you purchased AND the registration for the vehicle that you are transferring plates FROM.

If the vehicle is 1999 or older, a bill of sale is required (print one here: NH BILL OF SALE), AND one of the following documents:

      • Title/Certificate of Origin OR
      • VIN verification (print one here: VIN VERIFICATION FORM #TDMV 19AOR
      • Seller’s copy of the registration for the vehicle you purchased.
New Plates
  • When purchased through a dealer, you need to bring the title application with TOWN CLERK’S COPY (printed in red at the bottom of the form) and you will pay for a set of new plates with registration.
  • When purchased through private sale, you will need the reassigned title for the 2000 or newer vehicle.

If the vehicle is 1999 or older, a bill of sale is required (print one here: NH BILL OF SALE), AND one of the following documents:

      • Title/Certificate of Origin OR
      • VIN verification (print one here: VIN VERIFICATION FORM #TDMV 19AOR
      • Seller’s copy of the registration for the vehicle you purchased.

Note:  A photocopy of the previously issued NH registration or title is acceptable.

Registration renewals may be done by mail or drop box at the town office.  Please include:

  • Renewal notice received in the mail from the Town Clerk
  • Payment by check made out to the Town of Wilmot

Registration renewals may also be done online.

  • Go to  In the RESOURCES box, select ONLINE PAYMENTS
  • Enter the required information, plate number, plate type (must be as it is on registration and renewal notice i.e. PASS), and the last four digits of your VIN.

NOTE:  A service fee is charged by the processor of the transactions (Invoice Cloud).  If paying by bank account it is 95 cents; if by credit card, it is 2.95% of the transaction.

I just moved to Wilmot. What do I need to prove my residency so I can register my vehicle?

You will need to bring ONE of the following:

  • a current utility bill (electricity, cable, gas, etc.) which states your name and the Wilmot address OR
  • a copy of your rental agreement/lease or mortgage closing papers OR
  • SIGNED & NOTARIZED* letter from the PROPERTY OWNER (not a roommate) where you are living, stating that you do, in fact, live at that specific address.

*There are notaries at the town offices.

*If you choose to bring a letter, the letter MUST include: 

  • your name, the current date, AND
  • specific address, AND
  • the fact that you live there, AND
  • the Owner’s printed name AND signature AND
  • the Owner’s signature MUST BE NOTARIZED
I am new to New Hampshire.
When do I have to change my vehicle registration?

261:45 Resident of State

Notwithstanding the provisions of RSA 261:44, when a nonresident has established a bona fide residency in this state, said resident shall have a maximum of 60 days from the date his residency was established in which to register his vehicle in New Hampshire.

[RSA 261:45 effective January 1, 2016; see also RSA 261:45 set out above.]

Please note:  If you move to New Hampshire and you have a driver license from another state, you must get a New Hampshire driver license within 60 days of establishing residency in New Hampshire.  More information is available here: Transfer a License from Another State | Driver Licensing | Division of Motor Vehicles | NH Department of Safety

I am currently a New Hampshire resident and have moved or plan to move.
When do I have to change my address?

State law requires New Hampshire drivers to notify the DMV within 30 days of an address change.  This can be done at the Town Clerk’s office!  I have Record Change Request forms available and can submit them to DMV.  If you want a new driver’s license, you need to submit it to DMV as directed below.

To change your address, please submit a completed Record Change Request Form , a photocopy of your current driver license to any DMV Drop Box. You can purchase a replacement license with the new address for a $3.00 fee. Your permanent license will be mailed to your new address within 60 days.

The Record Change Request Form   requires that you provide your name, date of birth and both your new legal and mailing addresses, along with other identifying information. This form will only be accepted if it is signed and dated.

261:45 Obligation to Register Vehicle
  1. Notwithstanding the provisions of RSA 261:44, when a nonresident has established a bona fide residency in this state, said resident shall have a maximum of 60 days from the date of his or her residency in which to register his or her vehicle or vehicles in New Hampshire.
  2. When a nonresident business entity has established a place of business in this state and principally garages or regularly keeps overnight in this state a vehicle or vehicles owned by or leased to the business entity for conducting intrastate commerce in New Hampshire, the business entity shall be considered domiciled in New Hampshire and shall have a maximum of 60 days from the date of establishing such domicile in which to register the vehicle or vehicles with division or with an apportioned registration through the international registration plan. The director may adopt rules pursuant to RSA 541-A relative to procedures for such registration.

Source. RSA 260:39-a. 1979, 135:1. 1981, 146:1; 479:2, eff. Jan. 1, 1982. 2015, 111:1, eff. Jan. 1, 2016

Does Wilmot register Off Road Vehicles?

Wilmot resident must go to a state DMV office to register OHRV and snowmobiles.

I’d like to get vanity plates for my vehicle. How do I do that?

Please click here to obtain information on the Vanity Plate procedure.

How do I get New Hampshire State Parks Plates?

For information on NH State Parks Plates, and how to obtain them, please click here.

Decal Plates

Beginning July 1, 2017, the State of New Hampshire DMV began offering a new “Decal Plate”.  This type of plate offers residents the ability to support the 501(c)3 non-profit organization of their choosing.  These plates come in the following plate types:  Passenger, Vanity Passenger, Veteran, and Vanity Veteran.

There is an additional annual fee of $15 per set, PLUS regular registration fees, PLUS the initial $8 plate fee, PLUS the fee for the decals, which are determined by the 501c3 authority and may vary.

Decals can be purchased at the following legislatively approved 501c3 location, not through the DMV or town offices, and all monies will be applied directly toward the non-profit organization of your choosing.

Learn more about decal plates here:  Decal Plates | Registration | Division of Motor Vehicles | NH Department of Safety

Can Someone Else Register My Vehicle for Me?

Yes, absolutely.  However, there are a few things you need to know:

In all instances, Photo ID of your “courier” will be required.

Registration Renewal
  • Send your “courier” with your current registration OR the registration renewal notice that was mailed to you
New Registration
  • For a vehicle bought from a dealer:

Fill out the Permission to Register form and send it with your “courier”.

  • For a vehicle bought in a private sale:

Fill out a Permission to Register form to send with your “courier”. Your signature MUST BE NOTARIZED. This is authorizing your “courier” to sign the title application on your behalf.

Transferring Plates
  • Fill out a Permission To Register form and send it with your “courier”.  Indicate the plate number that you are transferring
  • Send the current registration for the vehicle you are transferring plates FROM, along with the Permission To Register
Vital Records: Birth, Marriage, Death

Request forms are available at the Town Clerk’s Office.

First copy issued at $15 each; each additional copy is $10 issued at the same time for the same record.  Please make checks payable to: Town of Wilmot.

Requests for vital records cannot be processed via online, fax or by phone.  Photo ID is required.

If you are unable to come into the Town Clerk’s office to obtain the record, your request must be made by mail. In most cases, requests are processed and mailed out the same day they are received, but please remember our office is only open three days per week (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday).

Incomplete vital record requests will be returned to the sender for missing item(s) thereby delaying the receipt of the document you are requesting.

Marriage Licenses

When getting married anywhere in New Hampshire, you may obtain your Marriage License in any New Hampshire city or town.

To obtain your Marriage License in Wilmot, you and your fiancé must come into the Town Clerk’s office, during normal business hours, with photo identification (driver’s license, passport, etc.). In addition, if either of you were previously married, proof must be provided of the divorce or death of the former spouse. If the former marriage was dissolved by divorce, the State requires that we see the sealed final divorce decree. If the spouse is deceased, we will need to view a certified copy of the death certificate.

You and your fiancé will complete a worksheet that will be used by the Town Clerk’s office in preparing the Marriage License. You will need to know the full names of your parents, their state or country of birth, etc.

The entire process takes approximately 30 minutes. Please plan accordingly.

Cost: $50

Dog Licensing

NH law (RSA 466:1) requires that all dogs must be licensed annually. Every owner or keeper of a dog 4 months old or over shall license it in the city or town where the dog is kept. Regardless of when the license is obtained, the license shall be effective from May 1 of each year to April 30 of the subsequent year.

If over 3 Months Old – Dogs must be licensed by April 30 through the Town Clerk’s office.  When a puppy receives a rabies vaccination, you must license. 

License Fee Schedule

  • $9 Male or Female
  • $6.50 Neutered or Spayed
  • $6.50 Puppies (3-7 mos. old)
  • $2 for the first dog if owner is over 65 years old. Additional dogs are $9 or $6.50, according to their status.
  • $30 Civil Forfeiture Fee if not licensed by June 1 (RSA 466:13)

Proof of current rabies vaccination is required before a license can be issued.

Late fees will be assessed for any dog not licensed by the April 30 deadline.

Voter Registration and Elections

Registering to Vote in New Hampshire is easy! Register to vote at your Town Clerk’s office before the deadline or register to vote the day of the election at the polling place. No matter when or where you decide to register, you will be required to complete a Voter Registration form. New Hampshire inhabitants who will be 18 years of age or older on the day of the next election, and a United States citizen may register to vote. There is no minimum period you are required to have lived in the state before being allowed to register. You may register as soon as you move into your new community.

Simply visit your local town or city clerk’s office. You will need to complete a standard Voter Registration Form and show proof of having established a domicile in the town or city where you will vote.  View acceptable forms of proof of having established domicile.  Bring proof of identity with you such as driver’s license or passport. If you do not have documents to prove a qualification, you may prove identity, age, citizenship, or domicile by completing an affidavit that is available from the clerk.

Eligibility Requirements 

RSA 657:1    Absence, Religious Observance, and Disability Absentee Voting. Any person who is absent on the day of any state election from the city, town, or unincorporated place in which he or she is registered to vote; or who cannot appear in public on any election day because of his or her observance of a religious commitment; or who is unable to vote there in person by reason of physical disability may vote at such elections as provided in this chapter. A person who is unable to appear at any time during polling hours at his or her polling place because an employment obligation requires the person to remain physically at work or to be in transit to or from work from the time the polls open until after the time the polls close shall be considered absent for purposes of this chapter.

Absentee ballots are available through your Town Clerk’s office.  You must complete an Absentee Ballot Request.  When your request is processed, a ballot and envelopes will be sent to you along with instructions to complete the Absentee Voter process.

For those who are Uniformed and Overseas, you may go here NH-SOS – Uniformed & Overseas to get the proper information and form.

State of New Hampshire ‘Voter Look-Up’ and ‘Track Your Ballot for Absentee Voters‘.


Find It Fast


Join us for email updates