About

Wilmot Basics

Wilmot Center, October 2007 (Photo: Marc Davis)

Incorporated: 1807

Origin: The northern part of what is now Wilmot was originally part of a 1775 grant to Jonas Minot, Matthew Thornton, and others that became New London. In 1807 the town was incorporated by joining together part of New London and the north half of Kearsarge Gore. Gores are irregular areas left over (due to surveying errors) after initial grant surveys. The south half of the Kearsarge Gore was incorporated into Warner.

Name: The name of the town honors Dr. James Wilmot, a scholar and clergyman, and rector at Barton-on-the-Heath, Warwickshire in the West Midlands of England. (Warwickshire is most famous as the birthplace of William Shakespeare.) Though he never traveled to North America, Dr. Wilmot joined with William Pitt, the Marquis of Rockingham, and others to protest the treatment of the American colonies by the British crown.

Villages: Wilmot Center (junction of NH Rt. 4A and North Wilmot Road), Wilmot Flat (along Village Road subparallel to NH Rt. 11)

Population Inflections: 423 residents in 1810. Historical peak: 1,272 residents in 1850. Historic nadir: 370 residents in 1950.

Population Trends: Population change for Wilmot totaled 990 over 57 years, from 391 in 1960 to 1,381 in 2017. The largest decennial percent change was a 41 percent increase between 1970 and 1980; the population increased by at least 20 percent for three of the five decades. The 2017 Census estimate for Wilmot was 1,381 residents, which ranked 168th among New Hampshire’s incorporated cities and towns. As of the 2020 census, the population had reached 1,407.

Population Density and Land Area (2020 US Census): 48.0 persons per square mile of land area. Wilmot contains 29.4 square miles of land area and 0.2 square miles of inland water area.

Find It Fast

ARE YOU IN?

Join us for email updates